Hemp seeds can be eaten raw, ground into a meal, sprouted, made into hemp milk, made into tea, and used in baking. Hemp seeds are one of the earth’s best sources of easily digestible, high-quality protein. This hemp protein is awesome because, as we all know, proteins are among the body’s most essential nutrients, helping you build and repair tissue and build lean muscle mass. 65% of hemp seeds protein is high-quality edestin, making them the highest vegan source of this simple protein that’s required for proper immune system function. The other 35% is albumin protein. With live enzymes intact, hemp’s digestible proteins are easily assimilated into the body. Hemp protein is also a great alternative if you’re allergic to the proteins found in dairy and soy.
Hemp seeds have many nutritional benefits that our bodies can take advantage of in things like hemp milk and hemp protein powder. Hemp contains a high proportion of amino acids in ratios best suited for human assimilation. The hemp seeds protein content is approximately 23%. Hemp seeds also contains essential minerals including Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Sulphur. It is, however, low in heavy metals such as strontium, thorium and arsenic chromium. Heavy metals should be avoided in a healthy diet. Hemp seeds are also high in dietary fibre. Hemp seeds provide Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s) Linoleic Acid (LA) and Linolenic Acid (LNA) as well as containing Gamma Linolenic acid (GLA). EFA’s are required by the human body in order to maintain hormonal balance, healthy skin, hair, general health and well being.
The basics: Hemp can provide two types of fuel.
1. Hemp biodiesel – made from the oil of the (pressed) hemp seed.
2. Hemp ethanol/methanol – made from the fermented stalk.
To clarify further, ethanol is made from such things as grains, sugars, starches, waste paper and forest products, and methanol is made from woody/pulp matter. Using processes such as gasification, acid hydrolysis and enzymes, hemp can be used to make both ethanol and methanol.
In this day of oil wars, peak oil (and the accompanying soaring prices), climate change and oil spills such as the one in the gulf by BP, it’s more important than ever to promote sustainable alternatives such as hemp ethanol. Hemp turns out to be the most cost-efficient and valuable of all the fuel crops we could grow on a scale that could fuel the world. And as it turns out, the whole reason for hemp prohibition – and alcohol prohibition – may have been a fuel the realization that OIL production is threatened by any competing fuel source, especially one that requires no modifications to your car!
Hemp Weaving / Clothing
From rope to fine clothing, hemp has been used by industry and for textiles for many centuries. The earliest uses of hemp date back to the Chinese, in the 28th Century B.C.
Hemp, like flax (linen) is one of the bast fibers. When weaving with hemp yarns, you can treat it like a linen yarn, using similar setts. It improves and softens with age. Hemp is also mildew resistant, making it an excellent yarn for towels, bath linens and carpet warp as well as in fine table linens and clothing.
Hemp Building Materials
Hemp (cannabis sativa) has course outer fibers and a shorter finer fiber on the inside,often called the hurd, The seeds from the hemp plant also can be pressed to get oil. These three main components of the hemp (cannabis sativa) plant can be manufactured into a variety of products that resemble wood, plastic, and even concrete like material. These hemp made products include but are not limited to plastic, fiberboard, wallboard, roofing tiles, insulation, paneling and bricks can even be made from the compressed inner short hemp fiber. The outer hemp fibers then can also be used like straw in bale construction paired with mud for an old-style cob building.
The principal product made from hemp seeds today is undoubtedly the oil. Purified or refined hemp seed oil is clear and colorless.There is not much flavor to hemp oil and it lacks natural vitamins and antioxidants. Refined hemp seed oil is primarily used in body care products. Industrial hempseed oil is used in fuel, paints, plastics etc.. Hemp seed oil has is used in the production of some healthcare products. The hemp oil has a high nutritional value because its 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids, which matches the balance required by the human body.
Henry Ford used hemp-and-sisal cellulose plastic to build car doors and fenders in 1941. On video Henry Ford demonstrated that his hemp cars were more resistant to blows from a sledgehammer than steel-bodied cars were.
The possibilities are endless with hemp plastics and resins, and bio-composites. Virtually any shape and purpose can be fulfilled by bio-composite plastics. Hemp plastics are already on the rise, it is only a matter of time before we will see the need to grow hemp in the United States to meet our demands.